UMBHALO OGCWELE WOGUNYAZO
LWAMALUNGELO OLUNTU JIKELELE
OF HUMAN RIGHTS
Ngokunjalo ukwamukelwa ngokuzuzwa kwesithunzi samalungelo alinganayo
najwayelekile awowonke amalunga omndeni wesintu kuyisisekelo senkululeko,
sobulungiswa noxolo emhlabeni,
Whereas recognition of the inherent dignity and of the equal and
inalienable rights of all members of the human family is the foundation of freedom,
justice and peace in the world,
ukunganakwa nokwedelelwa kwamalungelo esintu kube nomphumela wezenzo
zobuqaba eseziqede unembeza kubantu, kanye nomhlaba obhekwe isintu ukuba
senamele inkululeko yokukhuluma nokukholwa, inkululeko yokungesabi futhi
nokufuna kugunyazwe ugqozi kubobonke abantu,
disregard and contempt for human rights have resulted in barbarous acts which have
outraged the conscience of mankind, and the advent of a world in which human beings shall
enjoy freedom of speech and belief and freedom from fear and want has been proclaimed as
the highest aspiration of the common people,
kudingekile, uma umuntu engenakuphoqwa ukulandela umgudu othize,
njengendlela yokugcina, avukele ababusi nabacindezeli, ukuze amalungelo
esintu avikelwe ngokubusa ngomthetho,
it is essential, if man is not to be compelled to have recourse, as a last resort, to
rebellion against tyranny and oppression, that human rights should be protected by the
rule of law,
kudingekile ukuba kwenyuswe ukuthuthukiswa kobungane nobudlelwane phakathi
it is essential to promote the development of friendly relations between nations,
abantu beNhlangano yeZizwe bayinqinisile inkolo yabo yengqalasizinda
yamalungelo oluntu kuCharter, esithunzini nobuntu emalungelweni alinganayo
abesilisa nabesifazane futhi bazimisele ukuqhubela phambili
inqubekelaphambili yomphakathi namazinga angcono empilo enkululekweni ethe
the peoples of the United Nations have in the Charter reaffirmed their faith in
fundamental human rights, in the dignity and worth of the human person and in the equal
rights of men and women and have determined to promote social progress and better
standards of life in larger freedom,
aMalunga eMibuso azibophezele mathupha ukuthuthukisa, ngokubambisana
neNhlangano yeZizwe, ukuthuthukiswa kwenhlonipho emhlabeni wonke
nokuqashelwa kwamalungelo oluntu nengqalasizinda yenkululeko,
Member States have pledged themselves to achieve, in cooperation with the United Nations,
the promotion of universal respect for and observance of human rights and fundamental
ukuqondwa kahle ngokufanayo kwalamalungelo nenkululeko kubaluleke kakhulu
ukuze lokhu kuzibophezela kuqashelwe,
a common understanding of these rights and freedoms is of the greatest importance for the
full realization of this pledge, Now, therefore,
UNQUMA uGunyazo lwaMalungelo oLuntu Jikelele njengezinga elifanayo
lokuthuthukiswa kwabantu nezizwe zonke, ekugcineni okuzokwenza ukuthi
umuntu ngamunye kunoma isiphi isigaba somphakathi ngokugcina lolawulo
emqondweni baphokophelele ngokufundisa nangemfundo ukuphakamisa inhlonipho
yalamalungelo nenkululeko futhi nangenqubekelaphambili, ezweni noma
emhlabeni jikelele, baqinisekise ukwamukelwa okuvumelekile nokuqashelwa
jikelele ndawozombili phakathi kwabantu baMalunga eMibuso qobo lwabo kanye
nabantu abangaphansi kwemibuso yabo.
GENERAL ASSEMBLY, proclaims
Universal Declaration of Human Rights as a common standard of achievement for all peoples
and all nations, to the end that every individual and every organ of society, keeping this
Declaration constantly in mind, shall strive by teaching and education to promote respect
for these rights and freedoms and by progressive measures, national and international, to
secure their universal and effective recognition and observance, both among the peoples of
Member States themselves and among the peoples of territories under their jurisdiction.
Bonke abantu bazalwa bekhululekile belingana ngesithunzi
nangamalungelo. Bahlanganiswe wumcabango nangunembeza futhi kufanele
baphathane ngomoya wobunye.
All human beings are born free and equal in dignity and rights. They
are endowed with reason and conscience and should act towards one another in a spirit of
Wonke umuntu kumele awathole wonke lamalungelo nenkululeko ebhalwe
kuloluGunyazo, ngale kokwehlukaniswa, ngokobuhlanga, ngokwebala,
ngokobulili, ngokolimi, ngokwenkolo, ezombangazwe noma umbono, ubuzwe noma
imvelaphi, umhlaba, ukuzalwa noma isiphi-ke nje esinye isimo.
Ngaphezu kwaloko, akukho kuhlukaniswa okuyokwenziwa ngenxa
yezombangazwe, isimo sokwenganyelwa kwezwe noma imingcele yezwe umuntu
ahlala kulo, noma ngabe uzimelegeqe, ubanjelwe, ozibuse noma uphansi
Everyone is entitled to all the rights and freedoms set forth in
this Declaration, without distinction of any kind, such as race, colour, sex, language,
religion, political or other opinion, national or social origin, property, birth or other
Furthermore, no distinction shall be made on the basis of the political, jurisdictional or
international status of the country or territory to which a person belongs, whether it be
independent, trust, non-self-governing or under any other limitation of sovereignty.
Wonke umuntu unelungelo lempilo, lenkululeko nelokuphepha.
Everyone has the right to life, liberty and security of person.
Akekho oyoba isigqila noma agqilazwe, ukuhweba ngezigqila kuyovinjwa
No one shall be held in slavery or servitude; slavery and the slave
trade shall be prohibited in all their forms.
Akekho oyohlukunyezwa noma aphathwe ngobulwane ajeziswe ngokwehliswa
No one shall be subjected to torture or to cruel, inhuman or
degrading treatment or punishment.
Wonke umuntu unelungelo lokwemukelwa nomaphi njengomuntu phambi
Everyone has the right to recognition everywhere as a person before
Sonke siyalingana phambi komthetho futhi kufanele umthetho usivikele
ngokulinganayo ngale kokubandlulula. Sonke kufanele sivikelwe
ngokulinganayo ekubandlululweni, ngokungagcinwa kwaloluGunyazo futhi
nasekukhuthazweni kwanoma luhloboluni lobandlululo.
All are equal before the law and are entitled without any
discrimination to equal protection of the law. All are entitled to equal protection
against any discrimination in violation of this Declaration and against any incitement to
Wonke umuntu unelungelo lokuthola usizo oluyilo ezinkantolo ezibekiwe
ngezenzo ezephula isisekelo samalungelo anikezwe wona umthethosisekelo
Everyone has the right to an effective remedy by the competent
national tribunals for acts violating the fundamental rights granted him by the
constitution or by law.
Akekho oyoboshwa, avelelwe noma adingiswe ngokungekho emthethweni.
No one shall be subjected to arbitrary arrest, detention or exile.
Wonke umuntu kumele alalelwe obala ngokulingana okugcwele nangeqiniso,
inkantolo engavuni futhi ezimele, ekutholweni kwamalungelo akhe nezimiselo
zakhe noma ngabe iliphi icala abekwe lona.
Everyone is entitled in full equality to a fair and public hearing
by an independent and impartial tribunal, in the determination of his rights and
obligations and of any criminal charge against him.
- Wonke umuntu obekwe icala elidinga isijeziso unelungelo lokuthathwa
njengomsulwa kuze kutholakale ukuthi impela unecala ngokomthetho
enkantolo evulekile lapho enikwe iziqiniseko ezidingekile
- Akekho oyotholwa enecala ngecala elidinga isijeziso ngenxa yanoma
isiphi isenzo noma iphutha elalingelona icala elidinga isijeziso
ngaphansi komthetho wezwe noma kazwelonke, ngenkathi lenzeka. Noma
anikwe isijeziso esinzinyana kunaleso esasifanele ngenkathi kwenzeka
- Everyone charged with a penal offence has the right to be presumed
innocent until proved guilty according to law in a public trial at which he has had all
the guarantees necessary for his defence.
- No one shall be held guilty of any penal offence on account of any
act or omission which did not constitute a penal offence, under national or international
law, at the time when it was committed. Nor shall a heavier penalty be imposed than the
one that was applicable at the time the penal offence was committed.
Akekho okuyogaxekwa, ngokungemthetho ezindabeni zakhe zangasese,
emndenini, ekhaya noma ezincwadini azithumelayo nazitholayo, noma
ukuhlaselwa kwesithunzi nokuhlonipheka kwakhe. Wonke umuntu unelungelo
lokuvikelwa kulokho kuhlaselwa nokugxambukela.
No one shall be subjected to arbitrary interference with his
privacy, family, home or correspondence, nor to attacks upon his honour and reputation.
Everyone has the right to the protection of the law against such interference or attacks.
- Wonke umuntu unelungelo lokuhamba ngenkululeko nokuhlala phakathi
kwemingcele ezungeze imibuso ehlukene.
- Wonke umuntu unelungelo lokushiya izwe lakhe, futhi abuye abuyele
- Everyone has the right to freedom of movement and residence within
the borders of each State.
- Everyone has the right to leave any country, including his own, and
to return to his country.
- Wonke umuntu unelungelo lokucela ukuhlala akhosele kwamanye amazwe
ebalekela ukuphathwa kabuhlungu.
- Lelilungelo alinakusetshenziselwa ukubalekela ukushushiswa okufanele
okuvela ngamacala angahlangene nezombangazwe noma ngezenzo
ezingqubuzana nezinhloso nemigomo yeNhlangano yeZizwe.
- Everyone has the right to seek and to enjoy in other countries asylum
- This right may not be invoked in the case of prosecutions genuinely
arising from non-political crimes or from acts contrary to the purposes and principles of
the United Nations.
- Wonke umuntu unelungelo lobuzwe.
- Akekho oyokwenqatshelwa ngokungemthetho noma ancishwe ilungelo
lokuguqula ubuzwe bakhe.
- Everyone has the right to a nationality.
- No one shall be arbitrarily deprived of his nationality nor denied
the right to change his nationality.
- Abesilisa nabesifazane asebeneminyaka efanele yobudala banelungelo
lokuganana bakhe unmdeni, ngale kwezihibe zobuhlanga, ubuzwe noma
inkolo. Kufanele babenamalungelo alinganayo ngokomshado, ngenkathi
beshadile noma usuhlakazekile umshado.
- Umshado kuyongenwa kuwo kuphela ngenkululeko nangemvume ephelele
- Umndeni uyimvelo nesizinda somphakathi okufanele uvikelwe umphakathi
- Men and women of full age, without any limitation due to race,
nationality or religion, have the right to marry and to found a family. They are entitled
to equal rights as to marriage, during marriage and at its dissolution.
- Marriage shall be entered into only with the free and full consent of
the intending spouses.
- The family is the natural and fundamental group unit of society and
is entitled to protection by society and the State.
- Wonke umuntu unelungelo lobunikazi bempahla eyedwa noma ehlanganyele
- Akekho oyokwephucwa ngokungekho emthethweni impahla yakhe.
- Everyone has the right to own property alone as well as in
association with others.
- No one shall be arbitrarily deprived of his property.
Wonke umuntu unelungelo lokucabanga ngenkululeko, unembeza nenkolo,
lelilungelo lihlanganisa inkululeko yokuguqula ukholo noma inkolelo noma
ngabe eyedwa noma nabanye emphakathini, obala noma ngasese, ukucacisa
inkolo noma ukukholwa kwakhe ngokufundisa, ngokwenza, nokukhonza
Everyone has the right to freedom of thought, conscience and
religion; this right includes freedom to change his religion or belief, and freedom,
either alone or in community with others and in public or private, to manifest his
religion or belief in teaching, practice, worship and observance.
Wonke umuntu unelungelo lokuveza umbono ngenkululeko, lelilungelo
lihlanganisa inkululeko yokubeka imibono ngaphandle kokuthikanyezwa, futhi
nokuthungatha, ukwamukela nokukhipha ulwazi nemiqondo nganoma iyiphi
indlela yokusakaza ngale kwezihibe.
Everyone has the right to freedom of opinion and expression; this
right includes freedom to hold opinions without interference and to seek, receive and
impart information and ideas through any media and regardless of frontiers.
- Wonke umuntu unelungelo lokuhlanganyela ngokukhululeka embuthanweni
- Akekho oyophoqwa ukuba yilunga lenhlangano.
- Everyone has the right to freedom of peaceful assembly and
- No one may be compelled to belong to an association.
- Wonke umuntu unelungelo lokubamba iqhaza kuhulumeni wezwe lakhe,
ngokwakhe ngqo noma ngabakhulumeli abakhethwe ngokukhululekile.
- Wonke umuntu unelungelo elilinganayo lokuthola usizo lomphakathi
olufanayo ezweni lakhe.
- Intando yabantu yiyo eyoba isizinda segunya likahulumeni. Lentando
iyovezwa okhethweni lwempela ngezikhathi ezithile oluyoba ujikelele
futhi lufane ndawozonke. Luyokwenziwa ngokhetho oluyimfihlo noma
ngenqubo yokhetho olukhululekile.
- Everyone has the right to take part in the government of his country,
directly or through freely chosen representatives.
- Everyone has the right to equal access to public service in his
- The will of the people shall be the basis of the authority of
government; this will shall be expressed in periodic and genuine elections which shall be
by universal and equal suffrage and shall be held by secret vote or by equivalent free
Wonke umuntu, njengelunga lomphakathi, unelungelo lukuphepha
emphakathini futhi kufanele aziwe, ngemizamo yezwe nokubambisana
kukazwelonke futhi nangokuhambisana nezinhlangano nemithombo yeMibuso
ehlukene, kwezomnotho, amalungelo amasiko nenhlalo angenakulahlwa
ngesithunzi sakhe nokuthuthukisa ubuyena ngenkululeko.
Everyone, as a member of society, has the right to social security
and is entitled to realization, through national effort and international co-operation and
in accordance with the organization and resources of each State, of the economic, social
and cultural rights indispensable for his dignity and the free development of his
- Wonke umuntu unelungelo lokusebenza, nokuzikhethela ngenkululeko
umsebenzi, nezimo zomsebenzi ezivunelekile nezilungile futhi
nokuvikelwa uma elahlekelwe umsebenzi.
- Wonke umuntu, ngaphandle kokubandlululwa, unelungelo lokuhola imali
efanayo ngomsebenzi ofanayo.
- Wonke umuntu osebenzayo unelungelo lomholo ofanele novumelekile
ukuqinisekisa ubukhona besithunzi sobuntu bakhe nomndeni wakhe,
kulekelelwa, uma kundingekile, ezinye izindlela zokuvikeleka
- Wonke umuntu unelungelo lokubumba noma lokuba ilunga lenyunyana
ukuze kuvikeleke izidingo zakhe.
- Everyone has the right to work, to free choice of employment, to just
and favourable conditions of work and to protection against unemployment.
- Everyone, without any discrimination, has the right to equal pay for
- Everyone who works has the right to just and favourable remuneration
ensuring for himself and his family an existence worthy of human dignity, and
supplemented, if necessary, by other means of social protection.
- Everyone has the right to form and to join trade unions for the
protection of his interests.
Wonke umuntu unelungelo lokuphumula nokungcebeleka, kuhlangene
nemikhawuko yamahora okusebenza, namakhefu akhokhelwayo ezikhathini
Everyone has the right to rest and leisure, including reasonable
limitation of working hours and periodic holidays with pay.
- Wonke umuntu unelungelo lezinga lempilo nenhlalakahle eyenelisayo
yakhe nomndeni wakhe, khuhlangene nokudla, okokwembatha, izindlu,
ukunakekelwa ngezokwelashwa kanye nemisebenzi yomphakathi, nelungelo
lokuvikeleka uma engasebenzi, egula, ekhubazeka, eshonelwa, eguga
noma-ke ikuphi ukukhubazeka okungamehlela ngesimo angenamandla
- Omama nabantwana kumele banakekelwe futhi balekelelwe ngokunqala
impela. Bonke abantwana noma bezalwe ngaphandle komshado bayothola
ukuvikelwa okufanayo emphakathini.
- Everyone has the right to a standard of living adequate for the
health and well-being of himself and of his family, including food, clothing, housing and
medical care and necessary social services, and the right to security in the event of
unemployment, sickness, disability, widowhood, old age or other lack of livelihood in
circumstances beyond his control.
- Motherhood and childhood are entitled to special care and assistance.
All children, whether born in or out of wedlock, shall enjoy the same social protection.
- Wonke umuntu unelungelo lemfundo. Imfundo iyotholakala ngesihle,
okungenani emabangeni aphansi ayingqalasizinda. Imfundo eyisingeniso
iyoba ngeyempoqo. Imfundo yobuchwepheshe neyenzululwazi iyokwenziwa
ibe khona ngokwejwayelekile bese kuthi imfundo ephakeme itholakale
kubobonke ngobunjalo babo.
- Imfundo iyoqonda ekuthuthukiseni ubuntu ngokugcwele nasekuqiniseni
inhlonipho yamalungelo abantu nengqalasizinda yenkululeko.
Iyothuthukisa ukuzwana, ukubekezelelana nobungane phakathi kwezizwe,
kwamaqembu ezinhlanga nezenkolo, futhi iyoqhubela phambili imikhankaso
yeNhlangano yeZizwe ekugcineni uxolo.
- Abazali banelungelo lokuqala lokukhetha uhlobo lwemfundo eyonikezwa
- Everyone has the right to education. Education shall be free, at
least in the elementary and fundamental stages. Elementary education shall be compulsory.
Technical and professional education shall be made generally available and higher
education shall be equally accessible to all on the basis of merit.
- Education shall be directed to the full development of the human
personality and to the strengthening of respect for human rights and fundamental freedoms.
It shall promote understanding, tolerance and friendship among all nations, racial or
religious groups, and shall further the activities of the United Nations for the
maintenance of peace.
- Parents have a prior right to choose the kind of education that shall
be given to their children.
- Wonke umuntu unelungelo elikhululekile lokuzimbandakanya empilweni
yamasiko omphakathi, athokozele amakhono, ahlomule entuthukweni
yezesayensi nasezinzuzweni zayo.
- Wonke umuntu unelungelo lokuvikeleka kwezifiso ezisemqoka
ezingumphumela womkhiqizo wezobusayensi, wombhalo okukanye wekhono
elithize abengumsunguli wako.
- Everyone has the right freely to participate in the cultural life of
the community, to enjoy the arts and to share in scientific advancement and its benefits.
- Everyone has the right to the protection of the moral and material
interests resulting from any scientific, literary or artistic production of which he is
Wonke umuntu emphakathini nasemhlabeni kumele athole lamalungelo
nenkululeko echazwe kuloluGunyazo.
Everyone is entitled to a social and international order in which
the rights and freedoms set forth in this Declaration can be fully realized.
- Wonke umuntu uneqhaza emphakathini okuwukuphela kwendawo lapho
ukukhululeka nokuthuthuka kwakhe kungenzeka khona.
- Ekusebenziseni amalungelo nenkululeko yakhe, umuntu uyokwenza lokho
okulinganiselwe njengokulawula komthetho, ngenhloso eyodwa
yokuqinisekisa ukwamukelwa nenhlonipho yamalungelo nenkululeko yabanye
abantu, futhi nokuhlangabezana nezidingo ezinobulungiswa nobuqotho,
ukuqonda komphakathi kanye nezenhlalakahle jikelele emphakathini
- Lamalungelo nenkululeko akunakusetshenziswa ngokuphambana nezinhloso
nemigomo yeNhlangano yeZizwe.
- Everyone has duties to the community in which alone the free and full
development of his personality is possible.
- In the exercise of his rights and freedoms, everyone shall be subject
only to such limitations as are determined by law solely for the purpose of securing due
recognition and respect for the rights and freedoms of others and of meeting the just
requirements of morality, public order and the general welfare in a democratic society.
- These rights and freedoms may in no case be exercised contrary to the
purposes and principles of the United Nations.
Akukho lutho okukuloluGunyazo okuyohunyushwa ngokuthi kuthi uMbuso
mumbe, iqembu noma umuntu unelungelo lokwenza noma isiphi isenzo
sokuthikameza noma imaphi amalungebo nenkululeko echazwe ngaphezulu.
Nothing in this Declaration may be interpreted as implying for any
State, group or person any right to engage in any activity or to perform any act aimed at
the destruction of any of the rights and freedoms set forth herein.